If you’re in the mood for some good Japanese food and you’re not in a big city like New York, you might want to home cook some authentic Japanese grub. You’ll be surprised how easy cooking Japanese food is and you’ll save a lot of money compared to eating out.
Japanese YouTuber “runnyrunny999” makes English-language cooking instruction videos for Japanese food. He accepts suggestions for his menu from other YouTubers, who he calls “customers.” His videos are cute, funny, and exceptionally easy to follow. So far, his recipe videos have made: kani cream (creamy crab) croquette, cabbage rolls, takoyaki, mentaiko (marinated pollock roe) pizza, and more.
On October 18th, he uploaded his latest video: “How to make Curry bread / Tofu curry rice.” I haven’t had a chance to make it myself since I just saw the video, but it’ll be my little project for this weekend!
What you need
- 300g (0.66 lbs) tofu
- 250g (0.55 lbs) ground pork
- 150g (0.33 lbs) minced onions
- 2 tsp flour
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp bulldog sauce (Worcestershire sauce)
- 5 – 10g (0.18 – 0.36 oz) ginger (grated or minced)
- 5 – 10g (0.18 – 0.36 oz) garlic (grated or minced)
- 200ml (0.85 cups) canned tomato
- 50ml (0.21 cups) water
- 2 slices of thickly sliced bread
- Prep: dry tofu in kitchen paper, mince onion
- Make curry: Stir fry the minced onion on low heat until transparent. Add ginger, garlic and continue till fragrant. Add ground pork and cook till brown. Add flour, curry powder, and mix. Add the canned tomato, bulldog sauce, and soy sauce. Add water. Break tofu into small pieces and add into curry. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Fry the bread: Remove crust of bread. Press edge with fingers. Moisten the edges with beaten egg. Make a sandwich with the bread and curry. Seal the edges by squeezing the two slices together. Coat with egg, then panko. Deep fry till golden brown at 340 degrees F.
- Or alternatively bake: Stir fry panko till brown. Create the curry sandwich as above. Coat with egg and browned panko. Bake in oven at 375 degrees F for 15 minutes.
Watch the 8 minute video below and be prepared to be hungry!